Minute of Meeting of 17 May 2016

Kalewater Community Council

Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 17 May 2016

In the Village Institute, Morebattle

Present: Community Councillors; Eric McNulty (Chair), Barbara Bell, Catherine Mabon, Michael Scott (Secretary), Richard Pedersen, Matilda Hall (Treasurer), Pat Mileham, Neil Thomson.

SBC Councillor: Alec Nicol, Simon Mountford.

Public: Nil





Community councillors; Andrew McEwan, Dot Halliday, Tom Edgar.



Minutes of Previous Meeting of 19 April 2016

The minutes of the previous meeting of 19 April having been circulated were passed as a true record of events.

Proposed: Cllr. Bell; Seconded: Cllr Mabon.






Matters Arising from Actions 19 April 2016

Gift of Public Bench

Progress again





Morebattle Core Paths

Cllr Bell reported that from SBC records that developers of the cottage in Wee Brae had permission to build a cul-de-sac on 8 February 1993. The Land Register may have more details. The Secretary passed Cllr Bell the KCC minute book from 1993.




Cllr Bell


Replacement Xmas Lights

Ongoing. Cllr Mabon suggested a walk around village with the village group set up to progress this issue. SBC can assist with external power points.



Cllr Mabon


Graveyard Path

SBC Cllr Mountford reported that SBC Officer D. Munro will check the preferred route for the path from the kirk with A. Finnie looking at use of the Community Justice team to undertake the work.

Trees growing along the bottom of the graveyard are technically outside the site. One tree inside the graveyard will be removed by SBC once checks have been made to see if the tree roots will affect anything planned in the graveyard.




Community Resilience

Cllr McNulty has volunteered as the representative on the Kalewater Community Resilience group.




Missing Circulation Folder

Cllr Mileham has supplied a new folder.

Noted that in posting messages re. the folder so members were having problems with the morebattle.com email address.




Cllr McEwan


Community Pub

Chair reported that the sub-group activity around Community Right-to-Buy had been delayed by the Holyrood election. The paperwork and Company registration is ongoing.

Meeting planned for 13 June 2016, 7pm in the village hall.

SBC has been approached for a list of all Morebattle addresses. Cllr McNulty is organising a letter to all residents detailing the background to the proposal.

SBC Cllr Nicol will speak to SBC Officer Louise McGeogh re. addresses as occupiers’ details are not required.

CRtB will be a ’late’ application as the hotel is already on sale which entails that >15% of community support is required.

Directors can be sought from outside the Kalewater CC area if they have been previously resident.

SBC Cllr Nicol suggested that contacting other CRtB groups for representatives to attend the 13 June meeting.












SBC Cllr Nicol







Kelso Laddie’s visit, 19 June 2016

Kelso Laddie and Jethart Callant will meet at 2.30pm on 19 June.

SBC Cllr Mountford has agreed to be Master of Ceremonies.

Cllr Thomson to approach a speaker.

Cllr Mabon detailed the catering arrangements. Cllrs Hall, Mileham and McNulty volunteered to assist. She would submit images and copy to the Southern Reporter. Also names for the MoC.

Dancers and gifts to be organised.




Cllr Thomson



Cllr Mabon



·  Invitations to Kelso Civic Week events inc. Ball 20 July 2016 and Jethart Callant’s Festival on 7 July 2016.
Chair may attend the Jethart events.





Items for Circulation Folder

·  Community Empowerment Act: Participation request focus group, Monday 23 May 2016

·  Police Scotland - Scam RBS Calls -  Jedburgh And Kelso 4 May 2016

·  Police Scotland - Scam Council Tax Call -  Kelso 29 April 2016

·  Kelso Ward Police Report, April 2016

·  Green Dog Walkers Scheme

·  Safer Borders newsletter, May 2016

·  Road Closure - C41 Heavyside Bridge, South of Morebattle
Cllr Hall noted that she would complain to SBC re. the 16-week closure which starts before the end of the school term.

·  Scottish Borders Local Development Plan 2016
SBC Cllr Mountford noted that the Scottish Reporter has demanded a further 950 new homes including affordable homes. Any new sites would be consulted on for the 2021-2026 LDP.












Cllr Hall




Cheviot Area Rural Transport Challenge, 7 June

Event takes place at Jedburgh Grammar School.





Heughhead Planter

SBC Cllr Mountford noted that SBHA had inherited the planter from SBC but is now unmaintained. Could be gravelled or more expensively, demolished. A community option to plant with heathers could be investigated. Cllr Bell to approach Morebattle in Bloom. SBC Cllr Nicol noted availability of SBC Community Support Grant.





Cllr Bell


Planning Applications

16/00584/FUL (Erection of 2 dwelling houses on land north of Hownam School House).

Unanimously approved.

16/00569/FUL (Replacement Windows at 2 Heughhead, Morebattle)

Unanimously approved.








Items for Next Meeting Agenda

Community Pub proposal.

Cllr Thomson gave advance apologies.



Next Meeting

7pm Tuesday 21 June 2016, Village Institute, Morebattle.






  • Friday, 11 November 2016

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.