Minute of Meeting of 19 February 2013

Kalewater Community Council


Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 19 February 2013

In the Village Institute, Morebattle

Present:  Community Councillors; Eric McNulty (chair), Helen Cessford (Vice-Chair), Michael Scott (Secretary), Dot Halliday, George Aitchison, Richard Pedersen, Andrew McEwan.

SBC Councillors Alec Nicol, Simon Mountford.

Public: Nil





Cllrs Sarah Dixon, Paul Grime, Matilda Hall (Treasurer).



Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting of 15 January having been circulated were then passed as a true record of events.

Proposed: Cllr Cessford; Seconded: Cllr. Hall








Matters Arising from 15 January Actions

See item 5.

Cllr Nicol will discuss issue with SBC Officer Dougie Mallin.





SBC Cllr Nicol


Vattenfall Whitton Farm planning application update

Chair updated the community council on meeting of the sub-group with Vattenfall on 7 February. Vattenfall will resubmit application for 5 turbines, all within KCC area in order to avoid MOD objections.

Chair tabled Addendum to Environmental Statement and an assessment of the Cultural Landscape Bronze Age remains.

If sufficient councillors act then the application would be considered by the Planning committee rather than by officers under delegated powers. SBC Cllr Nicol keen to see a committee decision.

Vattenfall keen for any written support for the new application




Resilient Community Plan

Chair reported progress with obtaining residential addresses and forwarding to KCC area representatives.




Cllr McEwan reported that the website is live and continuing to develop although there is a need for more images of the area.

A link would be made to the main SBC community council site






Unveiling of 'start' Plaque for the Scottish National Trail, Kirk Yetholm, 9 February

Cllr Cessford reported that she attended the event with walker and originator Cameron McNeish unveiling the plaque. There was a good turnout. A guide book is available.



Morebattle Street Signs

Cllr Cessford noted that there had been no progress and no contact from SBC Officer Jason Hedley. SBC Cllr Nicol advised that Alastair Finnie might be a better contact.




Cllr Cessford



·  Community Council Scheme Review

·  Scottish Borders Community Councils Insurance Cover

·  New LBP Community Beat Officer, Kelso

·  Group Purchase Oil Scheme
Contact Eckford, Nisbet and Crailing CC (Sheila Campbell) for details of setting up a scheme.

·  Town Twinning










Items for Circulation Folder

The Secretary summarised some of the items going into the new circulation folder as listed on the agenda.

·  Community Empowerment and Renewal Bill - Consultation responses

·  SB Cheviot Area Wardens’ Monthly Update January 2013

·  Community Energy Scotland - Free membership

·  SBCCN meeting 21 February 2013

·  Tellmescotland.gov.uk update

·  Morebattle PS - School travel plan agenda 13 February 2013
SBC Cllr Mountford reported that he attended the meeting and that no major issues were raised.

·  Respite grants for carers

·  Energy Saving Scotland update, January 2013

·  Redesigning the Community Justice System Consultation - Public Events (Community Councils)

·  Community Resources Network Scotland (CRNS) Membership

·  UK Honours System

·  Scottish Police Authority - consultation on draft Strategic Police Plan, deadline 22 February 2013

·  NHS Borders Briefing - Update on BGH Out Patient Department redevelopment

·  Kelso Paths and Community Woodlands Groups meeting minutes, 30 October 2012

·  Scottish Borders Walking Festival 2014

·  Scots Together - new collective switching scheme - launches Monday 18 February

·  Scotland's National Action Plan for Human Rights - Webcast event, 6 March 2013

·  Rural Network News newsletter, January 2013

·  60th Anniversary Coronation Mugs (Unsolicited supplier email)









































Cllr Pedersen noted that the drain by the village butchers was blocked and Cllr Cessford noted another problem in the field nearby. Chair reported that he had called Eildon Housing on the previous Sunday as an emergency.

Cllr Pedersen to contact SBC Officer Alastair Finnie.

Cllr Cessford noted that the Jubilee Bridge works were nearly finished. Margaret Lister’s relatives had asked if a plaque could be added in her memory. Cllr Cessford to progress. SBC Cllr Nicol would look into the details.

Cllr Cessford asked why wreaths and other decorations were removed so early by SBC parks staff. SBC Cllr Mountford to investigate.

Cllr McEwan noted difficulties obtaining extra recycling sacks. SBC Cllr Nicol suggested asking for a larger recycling bin

Cllr Pedersen reported that he had repaired the bench at the Pikings.

Cllr Aitchison noted problems with salt bin at Beirhope where he had supplied 3 bags of salt as SBC had supplied none. SBC Cllr Nicol to investigate.

Secretary to progress Awards for All bid with assistance from Colin Roxburgh (consultant).

Cllr Aitchison would photograph an area near Hownam which might be suitable for hydropower via an Archimedes screw system.






Cllr Pedersen




Cllr Cessford

SBC Cllr Nicol




SBC Cllr Mountford









SBC Cllr Nicol






Cllr Aitchison


Items for Next Meeting Agenda

Group Purchase Oil Scheme

Community Energy Scotland membership scheme

Community Justice consultation



Next Meeting

Tuesday 19 March 2013



Meeting concluded at 8.20pm






  • Thursday, 21 August 2014

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.