Minute of Meeting of 20 August 2013

Kalewater Community Council


Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 20 August 2013

In the Village Hall, Hownam

Present:  Community Councillors; Eric McNulty, Michael Scott, Richard Pedersen, Andrew McEwan, Sarah Dixon, Matilda Hall, George Aitchison, Helen Cessford and Paul Grime.

SBC Cllrs Simon Mountford and Alec Nicol.

Public: 1.





Cllrs: Dot Halliday.



Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting of 16 July having been circulated were then passed as a true record of events.

Proposed: Cllr Pedersen; Seconded: Cllr. Aitchison




Matters Arising from 16 July Actions













Cllr McEwan had attended Michael Moore MP’s local surgery to discuss domestic bulk fuel buying groups. Noted that the scheme was making slow progress.












Next year.



Cllr Cessford noted that the judges had visited. Winners will be announced 3 September.



Presentation from Community Police Officer, Suzanne Howgego

Suzanne introduced herself as the new community beat officer for Kelso since January. She previously worked as a Domestic Abuse Liaison Officer and School Liaison Officer.

Kelso & District are in the East Community Policing Area covering the area from Earlston to the coast and one of 3 CPAs in the Scottish Borders. There may be changes in the near future as Police Scotland review aspects of the service. Likely to be a consultation later in the year in relation to Ward Plans.

Suzanne will produce monthly reports for the community council.

The new non-emergency Police contact number ‘101’ will replace individual police station numbers.

The Chair thanked Suzanne for her presentation on behalf of the community council.



Scot Govt. consultation: Towards a Litter-Free Scotland: A strategy to tackle and prevent litter and fly tipping, deadline 27 September 2013

Cllr Hall agreed to respond to the consultation on behalf of the community council.





Cllr Hall


SBC Report on proposed Byelaws to prohibit the consumption of alcohol in designated public places

Chair noted that at the most recent Cheviot Area Forum that the Police were happy to see byelaws adopted..

SBC Cllr Mountford noted that the byelaw would give the Police the authority to take action action where necessary.

SBC Cllr Nicol noted that there was no evidence that the Police are missing opportunities because of the lack of the proposed byelaw.

This item will appear on the November agenda for a response.












Proposal to Elect Co-opted Member: Sarah Anderson, Applegarth, Linton Bankhead, KELSO TD5 8AF. Elector Number: 191.

Proposed: Matilda Hall, Seconded: Andrew McEwan

Sarah Anderson was co-opted on to the community council and could seek nomination as a full community councillor at the next AGM in May 2014.

Secretary to send Sarah  copy of the constitution and other useful documents.











Planning Application: 13/00864/FUL Variation pertaining to house design, land north of Hownam school house, Hownam, Kelso

Cllr Aitchison noted that the original application was approved in 2012 but felt that the variation was a very significant change and that the application should not be approved. The community council unanimously agreed.









Request from Vattenfall re. Whitton wind farm planning appeal

SBC Cllr Nicol noted that if Vattenfall appealed it would be considered by a Council Review Panel consisting of elected members and not Council officers.

Chair to draft a response to Vattenfall’s request.







Scottish Borders ElderVoice questionnaire

There was no questionnaire tabled. Most likely to be in the absent circulation folder.



Roxburgh Estates Forestry Scoping Plans

There were no plans tabled. Most likely to be in the absent circulation folder.




·  SBC request re. Scottish Borders provosts.

·  SBC letter: Local Community Paths – Maintenance Grants for Community Councils






Items for Circulation Folder

The Secretary summarised some of the items going into the new circulation folder as listed on the agenda.

·  SB Cheviot Area Wardens’ Monthly Update July 2013

·  Joint Kelso Paths and Community Woodlands meeting & AGM Minutes
Secretary to contact Keith Robeson re. the boundary of the Kelso access group.

·  Home Energy Scotland newsletter July 2013

·  SBCCN Annual Conference Agenda Wednesday 18 September 2013

·  Invitation to join Scottish Ambulance Service Borders ‘Involving People Group’

·  SBC Consultation: Tackling Poverty & Financial Exclusion Strategy, deadline 13 September 2013
Secretary to contact SBC re. short period available to respond.

·  Cheviot Area Forum, Agenda 14 August 2013
Chair attended and noted presentation on Teviot Wheels service. Services covering different areas are being merged. SBC Cllr Nicol noted the usefulness of the transport service for the infirm and less mobile. Cllr Cessford noted that she was a volunteer driver for WRVS.

·  NHS Borders annual review 2012-13, Galashiels, Thursday 22 August 2013

·  Police Scotland Kelso area report June 2013

·  Tellmescotland Update, July 2013

·  Southern Uplands Partnership Newsletter

·  Scottish Campaign for National Parks report ‘Unfinished Business’




















Cllr McEwan had taken images of potholes in Teapot Street and sent them to SBC via their website. Morebattle will be assessed during August for road repairs.



SBC Cllr Nicol to progress new sign for the Jubilee Bridge.

SBC Cllr Nicol


Cllr Cessford noted that Cllr Halliday was concerned at traffic speeds between Whitton and Morebattle via Mainsfield Avenue. Cllr Anderson concerned at traffic speeds at Linton Bankhead and would contact CPO Suzanne Howgego via email. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.




Cllr Anderson


Cllr Cessford reported that the ‘Young Mums’ group would promote fundraising for a defibrillator at the Spring coffee morning. SBC Cllr Nicol suggested contacting Yetholm CC for details of costs and British Red Cross for a demonstration.




Cllr Cessford


Cllr Dixon noted that there were traffic cones at the damaged piece of road near Hownam.



Cllr McNulty noted that the new operator (Hogg) of the 81 bus service was not always running the service on time and on some occasions (17 August) there had been no service. Some buses had been replaced with minibuses which had no easy access.

SBC Cllr Nicol suggested contacting SBC Officer Colin Douglas with any problems relating to the service.






Cllr McNulty


Cllr Pedersen noted that the manure pile above the Pikings was resulting in a smell nuisance in Morebattle.



SBC Cllr Nicol noted that there would be a site visit from enforcement officers at a former development site in Morebattle at the end of August.



Cllr Scott noted that following contact with STAR Consultancy (Colin Roxburgh) re. the Community Action Plan proposal it would be most efficient to have a sub-group to progress an Awards for All application once CR had been in touch with revised costs. Cllr Grime offered to assist.





Cllrs Scott & Grime


Items for Next Meeting Agenda



Next Meeting

Tuesday 17 September 2013 at the Village Institute, Morebattle.



Meeting concluded at 9pm.






  • Thursday, 21 August 2014

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.