Minute of Meeting of 20 October 2015

Kalewater Community Council

Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 20 October 2015

In the Village Institute, Morebattle

Present: Community Councillors; Eric McNulty (Chair), Neil Thomson, Pat Mileham, Richard Pedersen, Matilda Hall (Treasurer), Barbara Bell, Michael Scott (Secretary), Dot Halliday (Vice-Chair), Catherine Mabon, Tom Edgar.

SBC Councillors: Alec Nicol, Simon Mountford

Public: Nil





Community councillors; Andrew McEwan.



Minutes of Previous Meeting of 8 September 2015

The minutes of the previous meeting of 8 September having been circulated were passed as a true record of events.

Proposed: Cllr Halliday; Seconded: Cllr. Bell






Matters Arising from Actions 8 September 2015

Minutes of Previous Meeting






Morebattle Development Site

SBC Cllr Nicol to contact adjacent landowner to determine actual site boundary as the site selling plans appear to exclude the path and hedge.

Noted that the SBC Community Access Path Maintenance grant may be useful in relation to this issue.




SBC Cllr Nicol


Circulation Folder

Whereabouts unknown.



SBC Neighbourhood Operations Review focus group

See item 4.



Linton Road Bridge

SBC Cllr Nicol noted that the bridge already has warning signs for a RH bend and narrowing road and that SBC has confirmed that there have been no personal injury accidents at the location during the past 10 years.

SBC Cllr to ask Roads section re. additional chevron signs.






SBC Cllr Mountford


Sports Success

Cllr McEwan will be asked if this news item could be added to the website at the next meeting.





Community Council Notice Board

Cllr Pedersen to progress with measurements, etc.


Cllr Pedersen


SBC Neighbourhood Operations review – Morebattle Public Toilets

Cllr Bell referred to the email exchange with SBC Officer Alastair Finnie.

There was no interest from the Templehall Inn in providing grant-aided public toilet facilities.

Although there was no definite response on behalf of the Village Institute, it seemed unlikely that it could provide public facilities.

As Chair of the Village Hall committee, Cllr McNulty believed that it would also have no interest in offering facilities.

Generally agreed that without a complete survey of the existing public toilet facilities that it could be unwise for the local community to adopt them under the proposed SBC scheme.

Noted that Coldingham Bay public toilets are operated by a Community Trust.

The community council agreed to leave the management of the current facilities with SBC as the current location is ideal and the usage is above the cut-off for change set by SBC itself.

Cllr Bell to continue communicating on the issue with Mr Finnie.



















Cllr Bell


Defibrillators update

Cllr Halliday reported that the training events had been a success with 4 evenings accommodating 55 participants including people from Linton and Hownam.

There was a general request for improved directional signage to the defibrillators. Contact supplier Scottish HART.

Location info. could be added to the website.

Add locations to the official St Cuthbert’s Way website

Secretary to send letter of thanks to the trainer (draft to Cllr Halliday)






Cllr Halliday

Cllr McEwan




Morebattle Archive

Add to next agenda as the Archive group have not held a meeting recently to discuss the offer of becoming a working group of the community council.







Local Community Paths SBC Funding.

Chair to consider application for 2015/16





Items for Circulation Folder

The Secretary summarised some of the items going into the new circulation folder as listed on the agenda.

·  Kelso Ward Police Report, August 2015

·  Kelso Ward Police Report, September 2015

·  Befriending Week 2015

·  5th Review of Electoral Arrangements - Consultation, deadline 22 October 2015

·  Police Scotland - Unwanted Cold Callers 10/09/2015

·  Police Scotland - Fraud Card Scam 14/09/2015

·  Association for the Protection of Rural Scotland – Proposal for a Cheviots National Park
Add this item to next agenda.

















Linton Hall access

Cllr Pedersen reported that he had recently attended a meeting at the hall and that access was now improved as a vehicle had been removed from the access road.

Cllr Edgar noted that the adjacent landowner had been invited to the next hall committee meeting as part of efforts to resolve access issues.





Gift of Public Bench, Morebattle

Cllr Bell reported that Morebattle had been gifted a public bench by a visitor to the village, now deceased. SBC had bolted the bench to the ground.

Contact SBC for details of the benefactor in order to send a letter of thanks.








Morebattle Street Names

Cllr Bell to contact SBC Officer Alastair Finnie re. a site visit to discuss street names and also to request details of the budgeted cost per sign.



Cllr Bell


Remembrance Sunday

Cllr Hall reported that the 7 November event would be attended by Joe Scott-Plummer on behalf of the Lord Lieutenant of Roxburghshire.

Chair reminded Cllr Hall that the Remembrance day event was a community council matter, and that it should have been discussed at a previous community council meeting and not progressed solely by Cllr Hall without the inclusion of the entire council.

Cllr Hall to circulate relevant email correspondence via the group email address.










Cllr Hall


Jubilee Bridge sign

Cllr Mileham asked when the erroneous sign would be replaced.

SBC Cllr Nicol noted that he had not yet progressed it.



SBC Cllr Nicol


St Aidan’s Church café

Cllr Pedersen noted that his church café was now operating.



Items for Next Meeting Agenda

Kelso Police Officer

Cllr Mabon asked if local beat officer Sgt Howgego could be asked to attend the next meeting as she had concerns over aspects of the non-emergency ‘101’ service.







Next Meeting

7pm Tuesday 17 November 2015, Village Institute, Morebattle.






  • Friday, 29 January 2016

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.