Minute of Meeting of 21 January 2020

Kalewater Community Council

Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 21 January 2020 In the Village Institute, Morebattle

Present: Community Councillors; Barbara Bell (Chair), Michael Scott (Secretary), Tom Edgar, Caroline Lang, Roddy Murray (Vice-Chair), Matilda Hall (Treasurer), Lesley Sunderland, Siusaidh Hall.

SBC Councillors Simon Mountford, Euan Robson.





Apologies: Catherine Henderson, Tamzin Thomas.

Presentation from David Kennedy (Forest Direct Ltd) on tree planting plans (pre-consultation) at Whitton (Cllr Edgar)

Mr Kennedy tabled maps showing proposed planting plans and an access road. A temporary access road requires SBC Planning permission. Planting may begin in late 2020.


Minutes of Monthly Meeting of 19 November 2019

Proposed Cllr Hall, Seconded: Cllr. Murray.




Matters Arising from Actions 19 November 2019


Walter Leitch Fund scheme update

Chair has not had any response to letter sent to three neighbouring high schools. Will chase up.

Proposal to raise the amount of fund disbursements from £400 to

£500 was agreed.




Chair Chair


Morebattle Institute

Chair reported that following discussion with the institute representative, the issue of an induction loop would be discussed at the meeting in March.


Morebattle Toilets

SBC Cllr Mountford reported that SBC was preparing a report on the recent tendering process for toilet maintenance. SBC Cllr Robson thought that a condition report on the toilets might already have been completed. SBC Cllr Mountford to speak to SBC Officer Jason Hedley on the subject.


Cllr Hall noted that St Aidan’s Church had been looking at applying to VisitScotland’s Rural Infrastructure fund for their toilet facilities.






SBC Cllr Mountford


Recycling Facilities

Cllr Edgar suggested that if the forestry access road goes ahead, there might be space to accommodate a recycling area.



Cllr Edgar



SBC Cllr Mountford noted that it wasn’t possible to signpost the play equipment.


School Bus

Cllr Murray reported that the bus wasn’t sitting with its engine running for as long as had been thought.


Road Maintenance

SBC Cllr Mountford progressing.


SBC Cllr Mountford


Hedges and Pavement Access

Cllr Murray had checked the section of pavement on Main Street and had noted that there was an existing lamp-post blocking access for any mobility scooters using the section in question. There appeared to be no alternative but to use the roadway.


Scottish Borders Walking Festival – 2021 to 2023

Agreed not to progress due to lack of accommodation in Morebattle.


Police Scotland - Introduction of the Contact Assessment Model SBC Cllrs present noted that the new reporting system would be ward-based in order to reduce admin workload. SBC meets regularly with the Police through a supervisory scrutiny committee. SBC Cllr Robson noted that the new police contact system could have issues in filtering out non police-related issues.


Planning Application: 20/00028/PPP Erection of dwellinghouse together with access, landscaping, associated works, Land North East of East Neuk, Morebattle

There were no objections although it was noted that the application was outside the development boundary.










Items for Circulation Folder

  • South of Scotland Enterprise - Delivery Update 1
  • Scottish Civic Trust - My Place Awards 2020
  • Kelso and District Police Reports, November & December 2019
  • Road Closure - B6436 Kelso to Morebattle Road, 27 January 2020 for 5 days
  • Scottish Borders Community Council Network agenda 5 February 2020 and minutes 4 December 2019
  • Locality Working Groups – Meetings


A new circulation folder is now in use.






Defibrillator Funding

Best option for funding four new units may be Lottery 25th anniversary fund. Would require a community questionaire as part of the application. Cllr Murray to investigate





Cllr Murray/KCC


Xmas Carols

The community council is responsible for organising carols around the Christmas tree in future and for the tree too.





Morebattle Rideout 2020

Sunday 21 June.

Cllr Bell seeking volunteer to take on teas / refreshments. Suggested that a collection be made for Mountain Rescue.





Morebattle PS

Cllr Hall had received a complaint re. rubbish around the school. To discuss with new HeadTeacher.



Cllr Hall


Traffic complaint

Cllr S Hall had received a complaint re. a vehicle being driven aggressively at a pedestrian on a rural road. Advised to report to police.




Cllr S Hall



Cllr Sunderland raised issue of lamping around Morebattle. Suggested that it be reported to Police as it could be illegal activity related to farm thefts, etc.




Cllr Sunderland


Items for Next Meeting Agenda

None raised.


Next Meeting

7pm, Tuesday 18 February 2020, Village Institute, Morebattle.

Signed:                                                                   Date:

  • Thursday, 21 January 2021

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.