Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 15 February 2011

Kalewater Community Council


Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 15 February 2011

In the Village Institute, Morebattle

Present:  Community Councillors; Eric McNulty (chair), Michael Scott (Secretary), Andrew McEwan, Paul Grime, Margaret Lister (Treasurer), Helen Cessford, Matilda Hall, Peter Tweedie, Sarah Dixon,  George Aitchison.

One member of the public.





Community Councillors; Margaret Blackmore. SBC Cllr Alec Nicol



Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting of 18 January having been circulated were passed as a true record of events.

Proposed: Cllr McEwan; Seconded: Cllr Aitchison.




Matters Arising from 18 January Actions









Cllr Aitchison awaiting reply from SBC re. waste bins



No reply to date.



No reply to date.



Meeting with Vattenfall arranged for 28 February. Cllr Dixon gave her apologies.



Cllr McEwan asked Secretary whether representatives of the Morebattle PS Parent Teacher Council had been updated on progress of the grant application for LEADER funds. Secretary hadn’t been in touch with them since November but would update them asap.







Secretary to complete asap.



29 April Royal Wedding Public Holiday events

Cllr Hall asked whether the community council had a role in organising celebrations on 29 April. Cllr Cessford noted that there had been a ‘street party’ during the Queen’s Golden Jubilee.

Treasurer to contact SBC Community Engagement Officer Clare Malster re. any specific funding that might be available.

Cllr Cessford to put up a poster asking for volunteers to organise a ‘street party’.






Cllr Cessford


Bob Pringle Award




Planning Applications
Redecoration of dwellinghouse, 3 Heughhead, Morebattle

No objections or comments.






Secretary read through recent correspondence, some of which were placed in the circulation folder.

·   Email from SBC re. Tree Removal Work

·   Morebattle Post Office Service Relocation

·   Scottish Government Event on Older People's Care, 23 February 2011, Edinburgh

·   ‘Home Basics’ opens Hawick Shop

·   Waste Reduction, Recycling and Reuse Mapping Study

·   ‘Future Balance’ Grant Fund

·   ‘Big Lunch’ event, 5 June 2011

·   NHS Borders BGH Participation Group

·   Scottish Borders Council news release: Funding for Voluntary or Community Groups

·   Scottish Government Consultation on the Future of the Fire and Rescue Service in Scotland deadline 5 May 2011

·   Note from Lothian & Borders Police Officer (Kelso) re. community contact

·   SBC request for Community Council articles for SBConnect, deadline 1 March 2011

·   SBC information on reporting unlit street lights



Items for Circulation Folder

The Secretary summarised items going into the new circulation folder as listed on the agenda.

·   Scottish Borders Elder Voice February 2011

·   Cheviot & Berwickshire (South) Wardens’ Monthly Update, January 2011

·   Boiler Scrappage Scheme

·   Volunteer Centre Borders Newsletter December 2010

·   Kelso Community Woodlands & Kelso Area Pathways Joint Meeting 26 October 2010

·   Kelso Community Woodlands & Kelso Area Pathways Joint Meeting 26 January 2011

·   SBC Waste Procurement Project - Newsletter

·   Association of Scottish Community Councils online bulletin December 2010

·   Census Enumerator Vacancy Poster

·   Flodden 2013 Workshops

·   Scottish Borders Events Forum ‘Meet the Supplier’ invite, Kelso 6 April 2011

·   Lothian & Borders Police Kelso Area Newsletter February 2011

·   BCCF News Release

·   Bus Users’ Forum dates












  • Agreed that the community council thank Mr & Mrs Alexander Black at Temple Hall Hotel for hosting the Post Office service.
  • Cllr Cessford attended an Elder Voice event in Hawick and tabled leaflets for the Circulation Folder.
  • Cllr Hall asked for a copy of the recent Borders General Hospital poster to be emailed to her.
  • Cllr McEwan would write some copy for the next edition of Scottish Borders Council’s SBConnect newsletter, covering Morebattle in Bloom and the Bob Pringle Award.
  • Cllr Cessford asked when the Christmas lights would be removed. Chair noted that the electrician had been contacted.
  • A new sub-group of Cllrs Dixon, Grime and Hall to progress the interpretation board. Cllr Scott to email the group an image of the board in the wildlife garden at Harestanes Visitor Centre. The group would agree a theme.






 Cllr McEwan


 Cllrs Dixon, Grime, Hall, Scott


Items for Next Meeting 15 March 2010

Bob Pringle Award, Fire Service Consultation, Vattenfall meeting




Meeting concluded at 8.15pm.






  • Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.