Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 15 March 2011

Kalewater Community Council


Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 15 March 2011

In the Village Institute, Morebattle

Present:  Community Councillors; Eric McNulty (chair), Michael Scott (Secretary), Andrew McEwan, Paul Grime, Margaret Lister (Treasurer), Helen Cessford, Matilda Hall, Peter Tweedie, Sarah Dixon, Margaret Blackmore, SBC Cllr Alec Nicol





Community Councillor; George Aitchison



Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting of 15 February having been circulated were passed as a true record of events.

Proposed: Cllr Cessford; Seconded: Cllr Tweedie.




Matters Arising from 15 February Actions









SBC Officer Clare Malster confirmed that <£100 could be donated toward a Royal Wedding event.



Cllr Cessford reported that there was support in Morebattle for  a family disco on 29 April at the pub. Cream teas would be provided at the Institute. Cllrs Cessford and Lister to continue to progress.

Cllr Cessford

Cllr Lister















Vattenfall meeting 28 February update

Cllrs Scott & McNulty updated the meeting. Both the MoD and the Council have objections to the planning application which may be decided under delegated powers rather than at a Planning committee meeting. Vattenfall’s Community Benefits Policy was due to be finalised soon.

SBC Cllr Nicol noted that wind farms on Forestry Commission Scotland land were providing community funding benefits of around £5k/MW/year and that that £2k/MW/year is a minimum to negotiate up from. Cllr McNulty noted that any income would be beneficial.



Community Action Plan tender progress

Secretary noted that the tender deadline was 31 March for receipt of tenders from the three consultants that had been approached. The tender documents would be circulated for a decision at the next community council meeting in April.



Bob Pringle Award

Cllr McEwan briefed the meeting on progress. Cllr Grime is producing a certificate.

 Cllr McEwan

Cllr Grime


Planning Applications

11/00199/FUL Benfield, 3A Main Street, Morebattle TD5 8QG. Erection of Porch

Four concerns were raised: encroachment on neighbours’ privacy, questions over ownership of the land on which the application for the porch relates to, problems caused by displaced car parking and the design of the porch (excessive depth, inappropriate door for the conservation area).

11/00215/LBCNN Clifton Lodge, Kelso TD5 8AE. Internal and external alterations to form attic accommodation.

No comments or objections









Morebattle Interpretation Board

Cllr Hall tabled an information note on behalf of the sub-group.

Cllr Scott to find information on the glacial loch.

Cllr Dixon noted that producing a board may cost around £1000.

Cllr Tweedie noted that the board at Pennymuir was produced by Osprey Signs, Coldstream through the Tweed Heritage Project (contact: Debbie Playfair).

Cllr Scott was keen to see as few topics as possible on the board in line with good interpretative principles.

Cllr Cessford was concerned over the large size of the board.

Cllr Dixon noted that Lottery-funded Awards for All was a potential source of funds. Cllr Scott noted that the annual limit of £10k may be required to fund the proposed Community Action Plan.

SBC Cllr Nicol noted that Scottish Borders Council’s Community Grants Scheme could be used.



Cllr Scott


Scottish Government Consultation on the Future of the Fire and Rescue Service in Scotland deadline 5 May 2011

Delegated to Chair for presentation at next meeting.






Secretary read through recent correspondence, some of which were placed in the circulation folder.

·   Scottish Borders Council Early Intervention Conference, Tweedbank 31 March  2011

·   Scottish Borders Council news release: changes to Council Contact Centres

·   Scottish Borders Council Floral Gateway Competition 2011
Cllr Cessford was progressing this issue.

·   Scottish Borders Council consultation: The Participation of Children and Young People in the Scottish Borders – Strategy 2011-2015 deadline 18 March 2011
Delegated to Secretary to respond.

·   Scottish Borders Council Area Committee Consultation deadline 9 May 2011
Secretary to circulate details to community councillors.






 Cllr Cessford






Items for Circulation Folder

The Secretary summarised items going into the new circulation folder as listed on the agenda.

·   Scottish Borders Council updated management structure February 2011

·   Cheviot & Berwickshire (South) Wardens’ Monthly Update, February 2011

·   Scottish Borders Community Councils’ Network Minutes January 2011

·   Meet the Supplier Event, Kelso, 6 April 2011

·   Scottish Borders Elder Voice Coldstream Open Day, 23 March

·   David Hume tercentenary celebrations, Chirnside, 30 April 2011

·   Voluntary Action Fund Grants

·   Scottish Borders Safer Communities Partnership Violence Against Women Programme 2011












  • Cllr Tweedie raised the issue of walkers using the public road near Corbet Tower on St Cuthbert’s Way, noting that no action had been taken on the trees by the roadside. Cllr Grime noted that removing trees at that point could lead to more erosion above the river.
  • Cllr Hall suggested that here was a need for allotments in Morebattle and would put a note in the village shop. Cllr Scott suggested that the proposed Community Action Plan might discover the level of interest in the proposal.
  • Cllr Lister has been invited to see the new interactive whiteboard at the school nursery, to which the community council had made a recent donation.
  • SBC Cllr Nicol had been contacted by Mr Welsh regarding the old ‘reading room’ near the pub and the few books that remained. Glass photo plates by Robert Fox are still in the building. He would contact Ian Brown, SBC Head of Community Services for advice.
  • Cllr McEwan asked whether the community council could donate toward the cost of replenishing the sandpit at the village play park. Agreed that Treasurer would send  a cheque for £50.
  • SBC Cllr Nicol noted that Sainsbury’s had made an application for a cafe at their new store in Kelso. Much disquiet from town centre traders but no planning reasons for it not to be approved.
  • SBC Cllr Nicol noted that Kelso 1-way system was getting generally positive feedback.




                         Cllr Hall



 SBC Cllr Nicol




Items for Next Meeting 19 April 2010

Preparations for Community Council Elections 2011




Meeting concluded at 9pm.






  • Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.