Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 20 March 2012

Kalewater Community Council


Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 20 March 2012

In the Village Institute, Morebattle

Present:  Community Councillors; Eric McNulty (chair), Margaret Lister (Treasurer), Helen Cessford (Vice-Chair), Paul Grime, Sarah Dixon, George Aitchison, Matilda Hall, Michael Scott (Secretary), SBC Cllr Alec Nicol.

Public: 2





Cllr Andrew McEwan



Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting of 21 February having been circulated were passed as a true record of events.

Proposed: Cllr Cessford; Seconded: Cllr Lister.






Matters Arising from 21 February Actions






Treasurer has received information on Jubilee funding (up to £2500), deadline 31 May 2012. Cllr Cessford has circulated a questionnaire in Morebattle for celebration ideas. A beacon on Mr Playfair-Hannay’s land has been suggested.






SBC do not support adding white lines to the road at the bridge. It would also require a Traffic Regulation Order and consultation. SBC Cllr Nicol to try to progress.

SBC Cllr Nicol



SBC Cllr Nicol suggested approaching Yethom Yew Tree allotments (Stan Brown or John Thomson) for use of a chipper next Xmas.



Cllr Pedersen attended the re-opening event for Yetholm Kirk, the inside of which will be remodelled to accommodate events and conferences.



SBC Warden Cheviot Area update from Mike Marsh

Some SBC Parks staff are now able to act as wardens.

Morebattle PS pupils will design new anti-dog fouling posters during 2012. Some fly-tipping, littering continues and more scrap dealer activity in the local area.




Vattenfall Whitton Wind Farm update inc. Memorandum of Understanding

SBC Cllr Nicol had sought advice on the proposed non-binding Memorandum of Understanding from legal expert. The response had been forwarded to Vattenfall by Chair who would circulate their response when it was received.

Apportioning of community benefits could be made on basis of turbine locations, community council populations or some other factors. Population data would be sought from SBC.





 SBC Cllr Nicol


Morebattle Interpretative Board update

Cllr Grime tabled draft A3 copies of the board graphics with text. Some tweaking still required. Credits to include: Kalewater Community Council, funders, illustrator and Texthouse. Progressing well toward printing and fabrication.



St Aidan’s church development update

Cllr Pedersen noted that the parked lorries would leave by the end of April and the space landscaped.



Planning Matters

12/00273/LBCNN Installation of satellite dish, Clifton Lodge, Kelso

No objections.






Scottish Borders Woodland Strategy response

Responses recorded for forwarding to SBC Officer Jim Knight.




Scottish Government consultation Affordable Rented Housing: Creating flexibility for landlords and better outcomes for communities, deadline 30 April 2012

Cllr McNulty was happy to respond on behalf of the community council. Some discussion of the merits of a local housing trust rather than a social landlord managing affordable rented housing.






Cllr McNulty


Queen’s Diamond Jubilee

Could there be a legacy project – tree planting?

Sunday 3 June street party?

Cllr Cessford to seek helpers.




Cllr Cessford



  • SBC Local Development Plan: Main Issues Consultation Exhibition, Kelso 1 May 2012
  • SBC Access Query: path near Clifton Lodge
    Some councillors recalled a path.
  • SBC Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Fund
  • Community Police Award nominations
  • Youth Development Contact Information (Kelso area)
    SBC Cllr Nicol suggested the Morebattle Kirk Youth Club could benefit from contact with the Youth Services.
  • Letter from SBC Carbon Reduction Officer re. Morebattle PS
    To be invited to future meeting.
  • Morebattle Vennel Lighting update – no progress.










Items for Circulation Folder

The Secretary summarised some of the items going into the new circulation folder as listed on the agenda.

  • Cheviot & Berwickshire (South) Wardens’ Monthly Update, February 2012
  • Association of Scottish Community Councils Conference, Dunblane, 18 April 2012
  • Lothian & Borders Police Board Newsletter - March 2012
  • Safer Borders Newsletter, March 2012
  • Southern Upland Partnership Newsletter, March 2012
  • Planning issues training
  • Community Energy Generation Fund Events
  • OFT Consultation - Rural pricing
  • Boundary Commission for Scotland - constituency boundaries
  • Reshaping Care Event, Tait Hall, Kelso, 29 March 2012
  • Consultation: Introduction of Tenant Information Pack in Private Rented Sector, deadline 21 May 2012
  • Community news from ESSacSE - February 2012
  • SBC Scrutiny Panel Annual Report 2011
  • SBC Community Engagement Final Report













  • Morebattle telephone box not working. SBC Cllr Nicol to investigate.
  • Jubilee Bridge in need of maintenance.
  • Chair now has completed Neighbourhood Watch forms to submit.
  • Member of public present raised issue of ongoing inconsiderate parking in Morebattle. Advised to contact Lothian & Borders Community Police Office Warmington.
  • Local problems with incoming telephone calls noted by Cllr Dixon.
  • Cllr Pedersen noted that there was a community renewables event in Melrose on 24/25 March.


SBC Cllr Nicol










Items for Next Meeting 17 April 2012


Awards for All




Meeting concluded at 8.30pm






  • Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.