Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 21 June 2011

Kalewater Community Council


Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 21 June 2011

In the Village Institute, Morebattle

Present:  Community Councillors; Eric McNulty (chair), Michael Scott (Secretary), George Aitchison, Paul Grime, Margaret Lister (Treasurer), Helen Cessford, Matilda Hall, Sarah Dixon. Public: 2.





Community Councillor Andrew McEwan

Not Present

SBC Cllr Alec Nicol



Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting of 17 May having been circulated were passed as a true record of events. One typo to correct in item 5: ‘1 June’ should read ’19 June’

Proposed: Cllr Cessford; Seconded: Cllr Aitchison.






Matters Arising from 17 May Actions




Re. Kelso Laddie visit: Cllr Cessford reported that this year there hadn’t been enough food due to a far greater number of band members compared to 2010. The issue arose due to a lack of communication. Cllr Cessford and Cllr Lister and two other members of the local community had provided much of the hospitality but felt that more support was required from other community councillors. The Kelso Laddie visit should be on the April agenda each year in order to guarantee more participation and more efficient arrangements.


Cllr Cessford would produce a list of tasks for the annual event.

Earlier contact with both the Kelso Laddie and Jed Callant groups would improve organisation.

Treasurer noted that the Jedburgh group made a donation of £10.

Cllr Cessford had written to Morebattle PS to thank them for the dancing practice arrangements.







Cllr Cessford






Cllr Lister noted that the Police communty questionaire may have passed the submission deadline.









Cllr Dixon tabled a response from SBC Asst Road User Manager Robbie Yates to her letter regarding vehicles speeding through Hownam. Mr Yates noted that only A and B class rural roads were subject to the current Speed Limit Review. However he offered to

install speed monitoring equipment in Hownam when it became available, and requested Cllr Dixon’s assistance.



Secretary provided details of the Woodland’s Trust’s ‘tree packs’ for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012.



Awards for All application

Again the Secretary apologised for lack of progress. Agreed with Chair and Treasurer to complete the forms following the meeting.



Morebattle Interpretation Board

Cllr Hall announced that Vattenfall had made a welcome donation of £300 toward the cost of the interpretation board. The remaining 90% is being sought from the SBC Community Grant Scheme

Discussion of what planning permissions might be required in siting the board within the village Conservation Area and on land managed by the village institute committee. Cllr Grime to contact SBC Planning Section





Cllr Grime



Secretary read through recent correspondence, some of which were placed in the circulation folder.

·   Scottish Borders Council Single Investment Strategy for Common Good & Trust Funds -  Extension of Consultation Period to 15 July 2011

·   Cheviot Community Safety Panel Invitation

·   NHS Borders Single Equality Scheme and Action Plan 2011-2014 Consultation, deadline 22 July 2011

·   Lothian & Borders Police Community Contact Vehicle visit dates

·   Scottish Borders Council & NHS Borders Cheviot Locality Event, Kelso, 1 July 2011

·   Southern Upland Partnership AGM, Moffat, 30 June 2011

·   Southern Upland Partnership Community Benefit Fund

·   Community Ownership Support Service

·   Scottish Borders Council Local Development Plan Focus Group Meetings

·   Letter of thanks from Anne Brown following her acceptance of the Bob Pringle Award.














Items for Circulation Folder

The Secretary summarised items going into the new circulation folder as listed on the agenda.

·   Home Energy Scotland Newsletter, May 2011

·   Community Energy News, Spring/Summer 2011

·   Kelso Community Policing News, May 2011

·   Southern Upland Partnership Newsletter, Spring 2011

·   Cheviot & Berwickshire (South) Wardens’ Monthly Update, May 2011

·   Changeworks Newsletter, June 2011

·   Scottish Borders Elder Voice 10th anniversary Newsletter














  • From the public seats, Simon Mountford introduced himself as a Conservative Party candidate for the 2012 Scottish Borders Council Kelso ward elections. He lives near Yetholm and and runs a PR consultancy having previously worked in journalism.
  • Cllr Lister noted that a large pothole in the road between Heughhead and the Toongate required attention. Secretary to contact SBC.
  • Cllr Hall noted that she had participated in ‘The Big Lunch’ in June with a number of her neighbours.
  • Cllr Hall and Douglas Hall had recently re-hung paintings in the Village Institute. Cllr Hall suggested that the community council’s more creative members might want to donate paintings to fill some of the spaces.
  • Cllr Cessford asked that the outcome of planning applications be noted in the minutes. The Chair noted that 11/00430/FUL Erection of dwelling house and storage building and formation of access, land South East of Mainsfield Avenue, Morebattle had been rejected on planning policy grounds.








Cllrs Dixon &          Grime





Items for Next Meeting 19 July 2011 in Hownam Village Hall

None tabled.




Meeting concluded at 8.05pm.






  • Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.