Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 21 September 2010

Kalewater Community Council


Minute of Meeting on Tuesday 21 September 2010

In the Village Institute, Morebattle

Present:  Community Councillors; Eric McNulty (chair), Michael Scott (Secretary), Margaret Lister (Treasurer), Sarah Dixon, Paul Grime, Peter Tweedie.

SBC Cllr Alec Nicol.

No member of the public.





Community Councillors; Matilda Hall, Margaret Blackmore, Helen Cessford, George Aitchison, Andrew McEwan



Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting of 17 August having been circulated were passed as a true record of events.

Proposed: Cllr Lister; Seconded: Cllr Dixon.



Kelso Community Beat Police Officer Alex Warmington

Chair welcomed Alex who explained that she had recently moved from covering the Craigmillar area of Edinburgh with Lothian & Borders Police (and before that with the Cleveland force in Middlesborough) and now covered the Kelso / Smailholm / Morebattle / Stichill / Ednam / Makerstoun / Yetholm area, one of 18 CBOs across Scottish Borders.

No recent incidents had been recorded for the community council area apart from one serious assault resulting in an arrest (person now on remand) at the start of September.

Current focus on car break-ins and bogus workmen. Planned activity includes use of a CCTV van and a Community Contact van (‘mobile police station’). The contact van is planned to visit Morebattle on a 5-week cycle starting on Monday 27 September. Future visits will be advertised locally with posters.

There will be a monthly newsletter covering the Kelso Beat area, beginning in October.

Alex Warmington can be contacted through Kelso Police Station on 01573 223434.














Matters Arising from 17 August Actions







See item 5.






Carry forward to next meeting.









In progress.



Cllr Tweedie noted that the issue had been successfully resolved as a result of complaints by parents of pupils using school transport.



iSecretary reported that the issue would be raised at next St Cuthbert’s way management meeting. Cllr Dixon noted that she had contacted walking guide John Henderson re. this issue.



Replacement Telephone Kiosk

Cllrs McEwan and McNulty and SBC Cllr Nicol have established that BT will not replace red kiosks unless it is purchased privately. BT will only replace the kiosk with a modern one.

Could an insurance claim be raised against the person responsible for damaging the kiosk? Details of individual to be forwarded to SBC Cllr Nicol.

Cllr McNulty noted that purchasing a kiosk privately could cost in excess of £2000. He would put a notice in the village shop.

Cllr Tweedie noted that the community in Hownam were keen to adopt their non-functioning red BT kiosk under BT’s current scheme. BT had not notified Kalewater Community Council that the kiosk was intended for decommissioning. Cllr Tweedie to investigate whether Hownam Village Hall committee could adopt.




                  Cllr McNulty



Cllr Tweedie


Floral Gateway Competition

The secretary noted that although Cllr Cessford was unable to attend the community council meeting, she had sent an email with the following message “We were delighted to win the Floral Gateway award, first out of nine villages! The judges take into consideration the school / schoolchildren's work, fund raising, social events and all the community effort. Thanks to all who helped in so many ways to achieve this award.

A plaque would be installed in due course.



Christmas Lights

Chair noted that the Christmas lights had failed in 2009 and that it was probably time to purchase replacements. Secretary to forward details of a supplier of LED fittings





Remembrance Sunday arrangements

Cllr Lister to speak to Cllr Blackmore re. arrangements. Three wreaths to collect from Kelso branch of Royal British Legion covering memorials at Linton, Hownam and Morebattle

Chair to make arrangements for a piper


                  Cllr Lister




Planning Applications:

(1) Sub-division of farmhouse for holiday cottage, Linton Mill Farmhouse

No objection agreed.

(2) Amendment to previous consent 08/00174/FUL Plot 2 Morebattle Mains Farm

Cllr Grime noted that as an immediate neighbour to the property in question, that the application was an improvement on the plans presented by the first owner. He had already sent a notice of support in a personal capacity.

No objection agreed.

Secretary to forward community council comments to SBC Planning Dept.










Kalewater Community Action Plan

Secretary noted that EU LEADER funding could fund 90% of costs of carrying out a community action plan of the kind proposed by consultant Colin Roxburgh (STAR). SBC LEADER officer Maria MacKenzie had been in touch re. the next deadline of 15 November for grant applications. Secretary to contact Maria MacKenzie re. progressing an application.


Chair to contact Vattenfall liaison Jeanette Thomson re. date for next meeting re. wind farm.








Report on NextGen10 Roadshow (‘High Speed Broadband in your Community’)

Cllr Scott attended the event at Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton. He noted that the main issue of the roadshow was how the remaining third of the UK could gain better broadband services. The Kalewater Community Council area fell into that category. The main conclusion was that the private sector had lots of technical fixes but required additional financing. Some communities benefited from EU funds enabled by public partners and a few had gone for a DIY approach. The event had provided useful information that could be included in a community action plan.



Permitted Development Rights for Microgeneration Equipment on Non-Domestic Properties – Scottish Govt Consultation www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/planning/National-Planning-Policy/themes/renewables. Deadline 8 October 2010

No comments.



Libel and Slander insurance cover

Agreed that this would be sensible. Contact SBC Officer Clare Malster.




Scottish Borders Licensing Board Consultation on Review of Licensing Policy Statement

No comments.




Secretary read through the recent correspondence, details which were placed in the circulation folder.

·   ‘No Need for Nuclear’ Campaign Newsletter

·   Last call for 2011 Queen’s Award nominations deadline 30 September

·   Online petition ‘Improving Mobile Phone Coverage in Rural Areas’

·   HMRC Enquiry Centres - Change to Opening Hours

·   Healthy Living Network Small Grants Scheme deadline 29 October 2010

·   SBCCN Core Group Minutes 8 September 2010

·   SBCCN Annual Seminar 2 October, SBC Council HQ

·   NHS Borders Digital Stories Volunteers

·   Changes to Area Committees



Items for Circulation Folder

The Secretary summarised items going into the new circulation folder as listed on the agenda.

·   Kalewater Community Council Police Report 1 June-17 August 2010

·   Scottish Borders in Figures 2010

·   Energy Saving Scotland updates

·   Scottish Borders Safer Communities Newsletter September 2010

·   Scottish Borders Council News Release: Bogus telephone calls

·   Scottish Borders Council News Release: Grants for young people up for grabs. SBC Cllr Nicol noted that Youth Chex was a service overseen by a committee of young people.

·   Towards a Mentally Flourishing Scottish Borders: Workshop on Improving Mental Health for Adults of Working Age, 18 October, Peebles












Secretary noted problems that some community councillors had in opening email attachments. He would endeavour to send documents in Rich Text File format.

Cllr Tweedie noted two roads items; a damaged cattle grid between Swanlaws and Towford at Buchtrig road-end and a crack in the wall of Heavyside Bridge. Secretary to contact SBC Officer Ronnie Pattenden.






Items for Next Meeting 19 October 2010

No items raised.




Meeting concluded at 8.55pm.






  • Tuesday, 21 September 2010

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.